Saturday, November 2, 2013

Delicious Chicken Potato Soup!

Today I received my brand new Vitamix in the mail! I toyed with the idea of getting one for some time, but was on the fence, due to the price. Well, I finally caved when QVC had them on sale last weekend. I ordered the lovely turquoise color, and couldn't be happier!

After checking out a lot of Vitamix recipes, both online and in the Vitamix cookbook that came with the unit, I finally figured out a way to make a dairy-free, wheat-free, soy-free YUMMY soup for my son! It was easy to make, and perfect for this chilly Fall evening! You would never know this soup doesn't have dairy in it, as it's so rich and creamy! My son absolutely loved it! AND YES, you really can make hot soup in the Vitamix!

Chicken Potato Soup

1 cup chicken broth

1- 1/2 cups of coconut milk

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 tsp olive oil

1/2 tsp. minced garlic

4 medium organic baking potatoes, baked (skin comes off easily after baked)

small handful of fresh spinach leaves, chopped with kitchen shears

3 chicken thighs (or one large chicken breast) - cooked and chopped

salt, pepper to taste

In a skillet, heat olive oil and add chopped onion. Cook on medium low until onions are caramelized. Add chopped spinach and minced garlic. Saute until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from stove.

Combine chicken broth, coconut milk, and two potatoes into the Vitamix in the order listed. Place lid on Vitamix. Select Variable speed 1. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to 10, then to High. Blend for approximately 4 - 4 1/2 minutes.

Reduce speed to Variable 3 and remove the center plug section of Vitamix lid. Add the onion/spinach mixture, the two remaining cooked potatoes, and the chopped cooked chicken. Blend for an additional 30 seconds.

Carefully open Vitamix (soup will be hot.) Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley. Enjoy!

Makes approximately 4 servings.

*Note: Please check your own ingredients and food products as labels/ingredients change constantly on food products. The photos above are the brands that I used, but may not be appropriate for YOUR allergies.

4 comments:

liz said...

Thanks so much, this looks fabulous and will work with my allergies! I have a Blendtec but think the results will be similar, as I have a "soup" feature too.

Lovely blog!

Tracy said...

Thanks so much, Liz! I hope you love the soup as much as we did! I'm sure your Blendtec will work perfectly. Thanks for visiting The {Scrappy} Girl Next Door!

Unknown said...

Yummy! We have all the same allergies at the Canan/Crisp household! I can't wait to try the soup :) Give Harrison a squeeze for me!!

Tracy said...

Hey Kelli! Hope you like the soup! Tip: salt & pepper is a must before serving ( I know you're a really healthy eater, but salt is necessary in this recipe!) :) We really enjoyed it! *Miss you guys!