Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Before & After : Fresh New Study

When we moved into our home, almost every wall was painted builder's beige. That is SO not me! I think color adds so much to any home, regardless of style, and best of all, paint is cheap! I've been struggling with my study for a while now. In addition to the beige wall paint, the built-in cabinetry was brown wood. My chairs were also brown. Just a blah, brown room altogether.

So, I decided that a room makeover was in order! First order of business was brightening up the room. I painted the cabinetry a nice off-white (an oil-based paint for good coverage), and the walls Wedgewood Grey by Benjamin Moore. As you can see, it took several attempts to find the right blue:

My best tip when it comes to paint color is to simply buy lots of little samples and paint straight onto the wall! The lighting in the paint store is not your lighting. Therefore, be brave, and paint little sample boxes directly on your wall. And then, most importantly, live with it for a few days! It's amazing how some colors really change with the time of day, or just grow on you after a while.

Now here's the most dramatic change -- the white cabinetry:

I wish I had a before photo of these cabinets before they were painted. The transformation is amazing! I absolutely adore it being white -- it adds a fresh, beachy feel to the room!

I love the soothing color of the room. However, my traditional brown chairs looked out of place in my new, more casual home. Thus, the room sat empty for several months with just the two chairs and our piano. A very uninspired space, if I do say so myself.

Then, a few weeks ago, with the impending start of the school year, inspiration hit! I decided we really must have a usable space! This room was sitting empty, yet would be the perfect "command central" for school work, office work, and home organization. So without spending much money at all, I transformed the study in one weekend. I visited World Market, Home Goods and TJ Maxx, with my boys complaining every step of the way. My husband and I started going through our attic, and moved things all around. (Keep in mind that the piano has to stay -- my son loves it!) We moved in an Ikea desk that had been upstairs unused, and moved out the brown armchairs that have seen better days. We brought in these fun new chevron side chairs and the room came to life! We are thoroughly enjoying this fun -- and functional -- space! Now I just need a rug... :)

25 comments:

Tonia said...

A completely different room. LOVE the color and function. Very nice!

Denise said...

Tracy I popped over here from Cocoa Daisy, love your blog!!

Tracy said...

Denise, SO glad you're here! Thanks for visiting! :)

Emily Pitts said...

Wow Tracy, the room looks amazing. We love Pinterest in our house too, my daughter plans all her outfits according to what she learns there. I need to get up the guts to use some of my home decorating pins too. I could love my house, I know it :)

Aliza said...

Hi. I', also here from Cocoa Daisy. I love the way the room turned out: chairs, desk, color--love it.
And I live in NYC, so I'll be checking back to see the rest of your album!

Jody said...

So great! I love those new chairs and you may have inspired me to paint some of the furniture I was thinking of getting rid of when we move next. I love white furniture and cabinets. I bet you are going to be in here often now! TFS!

Unknown said...

Such an awesome transformation-I love it!! Well done, sweetie!!

Sherry C said...

Love the transformation!

Shanna Noel said...

oh for the love of all things CHEVRONS!!!! I LOVE It!

Anonymous said...

I found you from Cocoa Daisy, as well. your room makeover is FABULOUS! I love the colors, and the cabinets look amazing. Nicely done!

Claire T said...

What a stunning transformation! I am another chevron fan but I also love the blue walls!

Marie/Mison said...

A visit via CD as well.., I do love your room. The blue color is so nice. I have almost the same in our hall. AND I´m thinking about putting it on my kitchen walls (you can read about the kitchen makeover over at the CD boards..)

Lilith Eeckels said...

Fabulous room. LOVE the colour

Unknown said...

HI Tracy! LOVe the space you have created! Gorgeous!

Kim Watson said...

Followed your link from Cocoa Daisy :)Your room looks amazing...so stylish & peaceful! I can only imagine how easy it is to be creative in there. Great blog BTW! have a super day!

April Michelle said...

It looks great. I love the desk!

Brandy Layton said...

Absolutely Gorgeous!!!!!

Elisa said...

Beautiful room, love your chairs!

Michele H. said...

I've been gravitating towards nice clean white cabinetry too. love how yours turned out. And those chairs...LOVE!

Unknown said...

Love your room, great chairs!! ;)

Tracy said...

Thanks so much, Ladies! So glad to see you all here! :) Thanks for stopping by!

ForgedinPaper said...

Those chairs are great. Fab looking room.

Jennifer Hope Longenecker said...

Just popping in to say "hi." We're in the Trend Spotting class together. The room looks great!

Unknown said...

Love the paint colors. I totally agree with buying samples and seeing them in your own light.

Sunshine Girl said...

love those chevron chairs...I need one or 2...